The Cayman Islands Cancer Society is a non-profit charitable organisation established in 1995. It receives no assistance from the government and is entirely reliant on donations which it receives from individuals and corporations.
The CICS uses those donations to help the community in several ways:
Support Public Health Initiatives
In partnership with the Health Services Authority, CICS supports large scale public health initiatives. In particular, the CICS:
- established a new, state-of-the-art Chemotherapy Unit where patients can comfortably receive chemotherapy treatment;
- took the lead on bringing the HPV cervical cancer vaccine to Cayman for both public and private sector physicians to help reduce the rate of cervical cancer in the next generation; and
- purchased new mammogram equipment for HSA.
Financial Aid & Assistance
The CICS provides those cancer patients with the greatest need for financial help with aid and assistance by:
- lending or renting equipment not available elsewhere on Island, such as hospital beds, wheelchairs, and walkers;
- providing free counseling and support groups to cancer patients and their families and friends;
- providing direct financial assistance to qualified cancer patients on a case by case basis. This can include payments for surgeries, treatments, airfare, accommodations or even food, utilities and rent. We have seen a dramatic increase in the number of patients who require financial assistance.
Prevention & Education
The CICS also provides education and prevention programmes:
- to help raise awareness of cancer and educate the community on ways to prevent cancer through health fairs, continuing medical education (CME’s) presentations for allied medical professionals as well as public presentations to churches, schools, community groups, etc. (in English and Spanish); and
- to promote early detection for both female and male cancers.
The Cayman Islands Cancer Society is dedicated to increasing awareness of cancer issues in the community and features a number of awareness activities throughout the year with a focus on cancer prevention, screening, detection and treatment and other cancer related issues.
Age appropriate and interactive presentations are offered free of charge in a number of settings including townhall style community meetings, schools, clubs and workplaces.
Presentations typically include an overview of the type of cancer being discussed, risk factors, protective factors, screening, diagnosis and treatment.
To arrange a presentation call 345-949-7618 or email Shorline@cics.ky.
CICS Voucher Programme
The CICS provides the following vouchers to individuals who qualify:
- Pap tests
- Prostate exams
- Mouth cancer screenings
- Throat cancer screenings
- Mammograms (No Longer provided by CICS, visit our voucher programme page for more information.)
The Society had it’s beginnings back in 1982 when Mrs. Hilma McField (a cancer patient) formed “Women Helping Women”. In 1986, Alister (Alex) Alexander (another cancer patient) was interested in forming a cancer support group. He approached Mrs. McField and they agreed to merge the two groups. In March 1988, we officially became the Cayman Islands Cancer Society, a voluntary organization established to help cancer patients and their families/supporters.
The Society has come a long way since it’s early beginnings and changed to meet the needs of the community we are here to serve. In 1995 we were incorporated as a charity in the Cayman Islands. In 2015 we celebrated 20 years of meeting the unmet needs of our community and with your continued support we’ll be here for 20 more years! Will you continue to help us, help others?
The mission of the Cayman Islands Cancer Society, a non-profit organization, is to increase awareness amongst the people of the Cayman Islands of cancer as a major health concern, to initiate positive change in all areas relating to cancer, to prevent the development of cancer and to counsel and support cancer patients and their families.
Our vision foresees a reduction in the incidence of cancer cases and an improvement in the quality of life of all those touched by cancer in the Cayman Islands through focusing on education and prevention programmes for children and adults, providing financial and counseling support to cancer patients and their families, facilitating a cancer survivor’s network, reviewing matters of interest to the Society and initiating and lobbying for relevant changes through legislation and other means and enhancing cancer screening, diagnosis and treatment services.
Become a Member Today
CICS is proud to serve its community. Become a member today and join us as we strive to prevent cancer, educate, support, and provide resources to our fellow Caymanians.
*After filling out the membership form you can drop by, mail it in, email us, or fax. You can also call us to make a payment. Thank you!*