A diagnosis of cancer can be a devastating experience for both the person diagnosed and the people close to them.
Many people can get support by talking to close family or friends. However, it can sometimes help to talk to someone outside of that circle who has been trained to listen & help you explore your feelings.
Talking to a counselor or psychologist can ease the sense of isolation you may feel and help you find ways to face the challenges ahead…
Is Counselling For Me?
- I feel anxious or worried about cancer and my treatment.
- I have felt depressed or discouraged.
- I have been irritable or unusually angry.
- My sleep habits have changed.
- I have had difficulty concentrating at work, at home or on routine things like reading.
- Cancer and its treatment have interfered with my family or social life.
- Cancer and its treatment have interfered with my sexual life.
- Cancer has caused physical, emotional, or financial hardship for me.
- Cancer or its treatment has caused changes in my physical appearance and it concerns me.
- I have difficulty coping with the stress I have experienced.
Did you know that free private counselling is available for anyone thanks to the Ministry of Health? If you would like to take advantage of their services contact 949-8789. They are located on the 3rd Floor Block B, West Wind Building, George Town. Hours are 8:30am to 5:00pm, Monday to Friday.
Counselling Utilizing Insurance
If you have an insurance plan that provides mental health benefits there are several counselors in private practice.
If you would like to be considered for charity counselling form a private practitioner please contact the Cancer Society to inquire about counselor availability.
From time to time the Cancer Society provides support groups for six week sessions. If you would like to inquire about joining a support group please contact the Cancer Society.
If you are a current cancer patient and would like to be introduced via telephone or email to a cancer survivor for peer support please contact the Cancer Society.